Sunday, 12 June 2016

Bravery

People talk about bravery as if it's easy to gain. Movies portray it as something you achieve when it matters the most.
The reality, however, seems to be that it has to be learned, which is harder for some people than others.

What excactly is bravery? What does it mean, how do you define it?

Some people seem to think that daring to do potentially reckless, stupid and/or dangerous things is brave. Others define it as standing up for what you believe in, while some see it as being good/calm under pressure and in dangerous situations.
I see bravery as confidence.

Man, I wish I was brave.
I want to be confident in my actions, abilities and beliefs, and I want to feel safe telling others about it.
But, I'm not.
I used to be, I think. But somewhere along the way, I lost that nearly blind faith in myself I so admire in others, and I want it back.
Some degree of doubt is healthy, but does too much doubt a coward make?

And is it necessary to be brave all the time, or is it healthy to hold back and think twice once in a while?

I wish I was so brave that I'd shout things from the rooftops. Not that I think it'd do any good, but isn't it a metaphor for being so proud of who you are that you don't care who knows?

I guess in order to get there, I first need to find out who I am, and accept it.
But what if I can't accept what I find out? Does that mean I'm not brave?
Does it mean I'm a hipocrite, since I'm so openly telling people to let others be who they are?

These questions, as well as how I can regain confidence and faith in myself, are what keeps me up at night.

And finally, how come the inspiration to write always seems to come to me when I'm tired and should be asleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment