It has been 10 days now since I decided to stop eating meat, at least as much as possible, and I have to say it is going well. I ate some chicken and some pizza with meat on it last weekend, as I went to my sister's house, and I had some pizza with salami on it once or twice as well, but other than that... No meat :) Or, well... My noodles are chicken-flavoured, so I suppose they technically count, but bear with me. I'm learning, and I'm poor, haha.
I'm also still having trouble letting go of fish, but I actually have an excuse for still eating seafood: doctor's orders!
Anyways, I went shopping for some cheap, long-lasting non-murderous meals, and if I pool it together with what I already had in my fridge and stuff, this is what I've got:
If you subtract the pasta, cheese and hummus, this whole deal cost me approximately 100kr. We're talking 1kg rice, 1,5kg vegetables, 3 boxes of tomatoes, 2 bags of bread, vegetable-butter, and so on. Believe it or not, but this will (dinner-wise) be enough to feed me for almost 2 weeks.
Apart from what you see here, I have about 6 bags of noodles, a jar of raspberry jam, and a buttload of eggs.
Some might say that eggs and dairy are also torturing animals, but I don't want to discuss it. My main reason for not wanting to eat meat is that the thought of having paid for someone else to get killed makes me sick to my stomach. Who the fuck am I to decide who dies? That's not my job, and is it fair that I can do it just because I have money? Hell to the no!
You know what? I actually wrote a poem about it! Poems are a fun-tastic way of relieving all sorts of frustrations and emotions, and I write them alot when dealing with things.
Soooo... Here is my poem about the emotions that caused me to not want to eat meat!
(and also, forgive me for writing an overly pretentious and seemingly guilt-tripping post, lol)
Bodies on the table
I stare at them, and they stare at me
as different as we could possibly be
Me sitting here, them lying there
despite the world that we used to share
I raise my hand up to my lips
it starts to tremble, its contents slips
I try it again, and again, and again
but I just cannot do this to my furry friend
my throat starts to close, and my stomach churns
I'm closing my eyes, but the feeling still burns
All of the lies I have previously told
suddenly seem to be so very old
My cash took their lives, though they weren't mine to take
I realise now my gigantic mistake
we use them for food, for clothes and for show
if they will forgive us, we might never know.

No comments:
Post a Comment