Wednesday, 10 October 2012

I'm homesick.

(there's pictures on the bottom)
People say I talk about Norway a lot. I suppose I do. Especially now, in the fall, I miss the country I've spent a good 16-ish years in. I'm sorry if I bitch about my country alot. People remind me every day how I'm different, how I'm "not really Danish", I can't get over it if I'm reminded all the time.

Leaves are turning red and yellow, the mornings are cold and dark, I can see more and more stars at night.
When I gaze up at the sky, I find myself missing being at home, up on the mountain where no streetlights can obscure my view of the stars. I miss the northern lights dancing with me up there, I miss the way the road sparkles after the night frost, I miss the snow and the cozy fireplaces and my cats and my mother's homeknit socks and all those little things you take for granted while you have them.

I'm not moving back there, Norway is not the country for me, but I can't help but get the blues during fall when I'm serisouly reminded how different and yet similar the two countries are. I find myself, during autumn/fall, often feeling lonely. Nobody else here is from Norway, nobody understands what it's like up there, how strange it is to talk to your mother on the phone, hearing her tell you about how the night frost has set in, while you've still got 19+ out.

I miss the fjords, the mountains, the smell of the moss in august when it reddens, the sound of reindeer and sheep walking around, the cool seabreeze, the sleepless light summer nights where you just run around with your friends up on the mountains until a new day starts. I miss all the good things.

I can't help but feel homesick, I grew up there. I formed my norms and standards there, I've been culturally imprinted and influenced by that place whether I like it or not.

I've been trying all my life to escape Norway, feeling out of place there. I do feel more at home here in Denmark, but I can't help sometimes wish it didn't cost so much and take so long to get home and see the people and places I'm used to seeing every day.
I would never live or settle down there, but for vacations, I wish I could spend more of them in Norway.

I'm sick right now, and I miss my mom. I miss her making me tea, I miss lying on the couch with one or more cats while my mother knits in her corner, and I miss the food she makes.


So, if you see me going quiet or stopping in my tracks and just gazing upwards at the sky, or staring sadly at my feet as we're walking, just remember...
I'm homesick. Give me some slack and a hug, or go away.

Also, here are some pictures I took a couple of years ago in Norway around this time:



The watermarks you can see are from my profile at Deviantart, http://antidaephobia.deviantart.com/
go check it out and comment or something!

No comments:

Post a Comment